Friday, May 25, 2012

To be a Hero

"You don't become a hero because you want to, you become a hero because you need to"
-Shingman, Ratman manga.

or shall I rename him Man Shainin? Shaini Jiman? in my novel.

and stumbled upon this site while looking for similar quote.
http://fearlessdreams.com/blog/why-i-want-to-be-a-hero_73.html

The Fantasy of the Hero
For as long as I can remember I’ve wanted to be a hero.
I’ve loved myths, legends, science fiction, and comic books my whole life.
Sounds childish, right?
It’s easy to psychoanalyze a love of heroes, and dismiss it as a childish or neurotic desire to escape from reality.
  • Do I want to be a hero because I want everyone to love me?
  • Do I want to be a hero because I feel powerless in the face of unfathomable forces that surround me?
  • Am I trying to escape from a seemingly petty existence into a wonderous world?
  • Do I want to feel overwhelmingly special and unique, and being myself doesn’t seem to be good enough?
Sometimes I do want to escape. I want to escape from a world that disappoints me. I want to escape from a “me” that disappoints me. Why play a seemingly insignificant role in the everyday world, when being a hero in my own fantasy world sounds like a lot more fun?

On the Surface
That childish desire to escape lurks on the surface of our thoughts and feelings.
And there’s another troubling feeling that travels with that desire to escape.
Do you often experience a feeling of restlessness? Do you feel that there’s some other place you must go. Some other work you must do. Some other person you must be?
It’s easy to dismiss that restlessness as the same childish desire to escape reality and to cast off our responsibilities.
But there’s much more to each of us than what floats on the surface of our thoughts and feelings. There is a deeper, meaningful side to our desire to escape, to our feelings of restlessness, and to our desire to be a hero.

Heroes and Stories
There are no heroes without a story.
A story is about meaning. A story reveals the meaning that lies within ordinary or extraordinary moments in someone’s life.
The stories of heroes are usually about extraordinary moments. They are stories where the meaning is clear, powerful, and profound.
But what divides the ordinary from the extraordinary? Is the ordinary event simply the common and familiar one?
Or does the ordinary become the extraordinary when we find the meaning in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment